Since the 1st January 2005 people carrying out electrical work in homes and gardens will have to follow the new safety rules in the Building Regulations.

These rules will reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty electrical installations. They will also make it harder for cowboy builders to leave electrical installations in an unsafe condition.

Anybody considering electrical work in the home will be affected by the changes, including DIY. If you are carrying out major works, like adding a new circuit it will be necessary to inform the Building Consultancy or use an electrician who is qualified to carry out the works and take care of the new rules for you.

For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats visit the Electrical Safety First website.

What will happen if you do not follow the Building Regulations

  • The electrical installation might not be safe
  • You will have no record of the work done.
  • You may have difficulty selling your home if you do not have the right electrical safety certificates.
  • You may be liable to a fine and be required to put right faulty work.

Why should I use an Installer who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme?

  • Members of schemes can deal with all the new rules for you.
  • Members are qualified to carry out electrical work.
  • Members will give you a certificate to confirm their work follows the new rules.
  • You will not have to pay Building Control charges.
  • You will have the option of taking out an insurance backed guarantee or the work.
  • You will have access to a formal complaints procedure if you are not happy with the work.

How can I find an installer registered with a Competent Person Scheme?

Visit the Register of Competent Persons and enter your postcode or the name of the installer in the relevant search box, or alternatively contact one of the competent person schemes given below:
BRE Certification Ltd
Phone: 0870 609 6093
British Standards Institution (BSI)
ELECSA Limited
NAPIT Certification Limited
Phone: 0870 444 1392
NICEIC Certification Services Ltd
Phone: 0870 13 0382
STROMA Certification
Phone 01977 665420
If you are not using an electrician registered under a Competent Persons Scheme it may be necessary to make an application to South Worcestershire Building Control.


The charge required for making a building notice application for electrical work to SWBC will be as follows:
£190.00 - Qualified but not a member of a Competent Persons Scheme (proof of qualifications will be required i.e., City of Guilds NVQ level 3 to sign off to BS7671 and to IEE wiring regulations 18th edition)
£348.00 - Not Qualified and not a member of a Competent Persons Scheme